It is characterized by burning, aching pain and numbness in the front and side of the thigh as a result of the entrapment of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve by the inguinal ligament.
Causes of Meralgia Paresthetica Disease
- Belt, corset, tight pants, etc.
- Increased intra-abdominal pressure and volume: Obesity, pregnancy, abdominal water accumulation
- Toxic and metabolic disorders: Diabetes, alcoholism, lead intoxication
Meralgia Paresthetica Disease Findings
There is no loss of strength in these patients, but there is tenderness in the inguinal ligament. Pain increases when walking, and pain increases due to stretching in the leg.
In these patients, the diagnosis is made by Electromyography (EMG).
Meralgia Paresthetica Disease Treatment
- Avoiding the causes (weight loss, not wearing a belt, etc.)
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
- Local anesthetic and steroid injection
- Radiofrequency (RF ablation) application
Meralgia Paresthetica Disease Surgery
Nerve release, nerve cutting in severe cases.